Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Cake!! I made a Dragonfly Cake

On Saturday my child turned 7!  I still can't believe that she is 7..Wow..


I had no idea what kind of cake to buy this year and a friend joked that I should make one.  This is the first time in 7 birthdays that the child didn't get a store bought cake.  I've always ordered a theme cake from the grocery store and this year I didn't!
I started by searching online to see what kind of ideas were out there andand found this website.  I had first decided on a Lady Bug and then the thought of making and using Fondant scared me so I kept looking  and after browsing decided to try a dragonfly. 

I then had to figure out how many cakes and what sizes to bake.  I started out with 2 bowls to make the head and a rectangle pan for the body and 3 round pans for the wings.  I think I f I was going to do it again I would use all rectangle pans and 2 bowls. I used Pyrex bowls and lined them with parchment paper to be sure that the pieces would come out without breaking. I made part of the cake chocolate and the rest was regular white cake which I added pink food coloring to the pan I used for the body.  I had a great time doing it and it was loved by all!!


In the oven

Starting to build

I used tinfoil that I had torn too short to cover the board as my template

In progress


Parchment paper to cut the wings

The larger wings

Ready for icing

The leftovers

Wings are done

Cake is done!!

I used 2 different colors of icing and purchased sparkles and some black licorice strings to make the antenna's and outlined everything else with a tube of black decorating gel.

The cake was a hit and loved by all...especially the birthday girl!!

No comments:

Post a Comment