Thursday, September 16, 2010

Where to start today...

I had a good cry last night and although I'm still feeling a little down today I will make myself get things done.  All in all yesterday was a productive day...



I started by blanching and peeling about 30 red tomatoes and then I spent another 8 hours boiling it all down to make Tomato Jam.  It is excellent on meat and can almost be used like ketchup.  This is another recipe from my grandmother and so far everyone who has tried it, like it.  I think it might be good in meatloaf.  I normally use either tomato soup or salsa, but maybe I'll go and get some hamburger today and try it in a meatloaf.

Beautiful Red Tomatoes
In the pot with sugar added
After cooking for 8 hours and adding spices this is how it looks!


I made another batch of the green tomato relish and then I tried something completely different.  Zesty Peach BBQ Sauce.

At the beginning!

I should have wiped the jar before the photo!  I ran it through the food processor and I think the next time I make it, I will chop all the ingredients that way.


I like peaches and thought I would try it.  It is delicious.  I found the recipe in this book.  I made a double batch and with the little bit of left over that didn't go into a jar, hubby put it on the pork chops last night while he cooked them on the BBQ.  I made a small mistake and instead of adding the hot pepper flakes using a teaspoon like the recipe said, I used a tablespoon.  I scooped a bunch of it out and it has just enough bite to make it zesty, but not the bite that has you looking for a glass of water.  I was really happy with the way it turned out!  I am just about out of jars and I still want to make some more Lady Eaton Relish and try a Pumpkin Butter too.  The small jars are going to be perfect to put into baskets for Christmas.  I plan to put tags on them listing the ingredients and maybe some ideas on how to use them with your meals.  Home made Christmas is coming along nicely!

The hat that I had on the needles is finished!  Unfortunately it didn't fit the intended recipient so I have cast another one on and hope to have it finished tonight or tomorrow!


I still have enough of the orange yarn left to make the bigger one and the smaller one just might get mailed my cousin!

I am hoping for another productive day.  I think I will take a break from the canning and will clean the kitchen and get some laundry done.

It's a wet cold rainy day that feels like November...maybe I'll just turn on the fireplace and sit and knit....hhmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment