Friday, October 15, 2010

Toddler Mittens..an Easy 4 Needle Pattern

I have taken 3 or 4 different patterns that I have tried and put together a pattern of my own that I like.  I think that mittens for kids should have nice long cuffs.  There is nothing I hate more than seeing kids playing and their little wrists are turning red from the cold because the sleeve of their jackets ride up and the mittens aren't long enough.
Here is what I have come up with!  Enjoy!!

These were knit using 2 3/4mm needless and a 4 ply worsted, I think it was Red Heart and they were knit for a little guy who is 14 months old.  I have no idea what the gauge is, but they fit him.

Cuff
Cast on 36 stitches and divided evenly on 3 needles.  Join being careful not to twist and work 2 inches in K1P1 ribbing.

Row 1   -Knit
Row 2   -knit
Row 3   -K1 P1 K3 P1 Knit to end of row
Row 4   -Repeat Row 3
Row 5   -Repeat Row 4
Row 6   -K1 P1 *M1 K1 M1 P1 Knit to end of row
Row 7   -K1 P1 K5 P1 Knit to end of row
Row 8   -Repeat row 7
Row 9   -K1 P1 M1 K3 M1 P1 Knit to end of row
Row 10 -K1 P1 K7 P1 Knit to end of row
Row 11 -Repeat Row 10
Row 12 -K1 P1 M1 K5 M1 P1 Knit to end of row
Row 13 -K1 P1 K9 P1 Knit to end of row
Row 14 -Repeat row 13
Row 15 -K1 P1 M1 K7 M1 P1 Knit to end of row
Row 16 -K1 P1 K9 P1 Knit to end of row
Row 17 -Repeat row 16 (44 stitches in total)


Row 18 -Knit 2 stitches slip the next 11 onto a stitch holder **Cast On 3 stitches and knit to the end of the row
Continue knitting the hand until it is 3 1/2 inches from the top of the ribbing.


To shape the top
Row 1  -(S1 K1 PSSO K4) repeat to the end of the row(30 stitches)
Row 2  -Knit
Row 3  -Knit
Row 4  -(S1 K1 PSSO K3)repeat to the end of the row(24 stitches)
Row 5  -Knit
Row 6  -(S1 K1 PSSO K2) repeat to the end of the row(18 stitches)
Row 7  -Knit
Row 8  -(S1 K1 PSSO K1) repeat to the end of the row(12 stitches)
Row 9  -(S1 K1 PSSO ) repeat to the end of the row(6 stitches)
Break the yarn and thread it through the remaining stitches, pull it tightly and slip it through the top and fasten and work in the tail.

To make the thumb Pick up the 11 stitches off the holder and pick up 5 more stitches around the thumb opening.  Divide these stitches onto 3 needles and knit until the thumb measures 1 inch (about 12 rows) on the inside of the thumb.  To shape the top of the thumb
Row 1 -(K2tog) repeat to end of row(8 stitches)
Row 2 -Knit
Row 3 -(K2tog) repeat to end of row(4 stitches)
Break the yarn and thread it through the remaining stitches, pull it tightly and slip it through the top and this is where I like to to be sure there a no holes.  If there is I weave the tail and fix any holes where the cold might get in.  Fasten the yarn and weave in the ends.



*M1 slip a stitch in front of the next stitch onto the left needle then knit it and knit the next stitch

** I like to turn my work and cast on the 3 stitches so that they are cast onto the right had needle when you work is facing you and then they will be knit in the next row not in the same row that you have just cast on(make sense?)

Below are some pictures!  If I haven't written it clearly be sure to pop me off an email at itsawip at gmail dot com and I will try to explain better or take more pictures!

The cuff


Stitches on the holder for the thumb


Almost ready to start the top of the mitten

Finished!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this. I can not wait to learn more about your blog. I also battle depression, we need to get a crafty bloggers battling depression group going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do I print the pattern?

    ReplyDelete