Saturday, November 27, 2010

NaBloPoMo Day 27 Hiring a Tutor

This week at school we had interviews with the child's teacher.  It was a student led conference and the child showed me her favorite work and told me about her days at school.  Her teacher pulled me aside and expressed her concern about her reading and some of her math.  I have been concerned about her reading since last year and did try to express my concerns to her teacher, but was assured each time that all was well.

It appears that I did have cause for concern.  I have tried to help her as much as I can, but being her mom, she and I both get very frustrated and I think that I am more hindrance than help.  Her teacher has been sending resources home and we are trying, but I just don't have what it takes to teach her.  So I hired a tutor this morning.  We will start on December 1st and I am looking forward to it.  The tutor that I have hired is a retired teacher and seems very eager to get started.  She has a limited knowledge of french, but I think that she will be okay with the all of the dictionaries and such that I will be taking along.  I have had so many people tell me to pull her out of the French Immersion program and to put her into the English program, but I am hesitant to do that.  I want her to have the french knowledge.  Her verbal is excellent and at supper time here at home we try to make it a rule that we only speak french so that I can learn as well.

Let's hope that the tutor can help and we can get the child caught up!  I never in a million years thought that we would have to deal with this kind of thing.  At 15 months old she had a broad vocabulary of more than 30 words and could point to some shapes and tell us what they were.  I know my smart little girl can do it!!!!


****Edited to Add..the Tutor just called again and she found a great french web site to help her brush up on her french and sounds very excited!  Let's hope this a good fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment